Moving is one of the most stressful things a person experiences. Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do to prevent excess anxiety. Check out these tips from one of our knowledgeable moving coordinators, and add them to your moving checklist.
- Schedule your move as early as possible to ensure your desired move dates are available.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack.
- Empty out your dressers, desks, etc.
- Clothes in drawers can be placed in suitcases.
- Separate all items you plan to take with you prior to the crew's arrival.
- Make sure that the items you may need access to immediately are not out there for the movers to pack. This could include cellphones, chargers, prescription medicine, car keys, clothing, etc. - anything you'll need while the majority of your belongings are on a truck.
- Label these items so the crew knows not to pack them.
- For large appliances be sure to check your owner's manuals to see if there are special instructions for moving.
- Make sure that all of your appliances are unplugged, drained and or defrosted.
- Never use printed newspaper to wrap fine china.
- Always stack dishes upwards when packing. Also, make sure that dishes are separated and padded with packing paper. Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Don't pack with food or supermarket boxes. You never know what little critter might be hiding there- or if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.